Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Olympic Games make me happy.

Y'all, the Olympics are here. And let me just tell you something...I love the Olympics. Whether the games are being held in Atlanta, Beijing, London, or anywhere else.

(picture found on Google images)

I don't think I'm ever as proud to be from the United States of America as I am when I watch (1) our troops in action and (2) our athletes representing the red, white, and blue in the Olympic games. There are just so many brave, disciplined, and gracious athletes from my country. I'm especially glad that NBC is finally beginning to cover the running events. I ran cross country for seven straight years. I love running almost as much as I love Switchfoot; for those of you who know me personally, you know that what I just said is quite meaningful. :) Anyway, I really am delighted that runners, and in particular long distance runners, are finally getting some well-deserved recognition. And today, the very first double-amputee competed in the Olympics: Oscar Pistorius of South Africa raced in a heat of the open 400 meters with blades in place of human legs. You can read more about this inspiring feat here:


I used to run in both the open 400 and the 4x400 in my high school track days, and there is no doubt in my mind that the 400 is one of the hardest races one can tackle. The runner in the 400 must basically sprint one full lap around the track. This may sound easy, but keep in mind that the races considered true sprints are the 100 and the 200. Running full out for a grueling 400 meters is quite hard on the body. Truthfully, it's impressive when anyone -  disability or not - excels at this race. Although, of course, the 800 meter run is actually the most difficult race in track, especially when you're up against girls who like to accidentally kick you down with their spikes...but that's another story...

In further Olympic news, Michael Phelps is a beast. :) He now has won 21 Olympic medals. And I'm proud of Gabby Douglas for winning the all around women's gymnastics competition. Go, Team USA!

So if you're not watching the Olympics, who do you think you are and what are you doing? Support your country and cheer on those who have trained for a lifetime just to make it onto a podium and hear their national anthem. And if they're competing not only for their country but also for God's glory, that just makes it all the more worthwhile. :)

~

"Stand firm, and you will win life." -  Luke 21:19


No comments:

Post a Comment